June 28, 2018

Color Crush: Dark Ink

I have always had a strong pull to different colors at different times. I've never really been able to answer the questions "What's your favorite color?" because the answer has always bee different. And if it's always different, then can I really call it my favorite? For most of my life I could at least say my favorites were cool colors, but then something happened and I became a coral/dusty rose/millennial pink girl. I was never a pink girl. Thanks, social media..? I don't really know what it was.

Whenever I go new places, I'm first drawn to a place because of the color palette. Driving down the road/walking through downtown I'll say "I love that door color!" and snap a picture. When we were in Charleston, SC a few week ago for my sister's wedding I kept specifically taking pictures of window boxes/house fronts where I was drawn in by the color palette. When I'm shopping (for clothes, the house, my classroom, etc.) everything I end up taking back to the dressing room and/or actually leaving the store with falls in the same color scheme. When I'm painting, I have a knack for being able to identify the undertones of a color that I want to use and being able to mix it up. The same way every time. When I was roughly three years old, my mom would ask me if certain clothes matched together. Color's my thing.

So I thought it would be fitting to round up different pictures from around the instagram/blog world that show off the color I'm currently crushing on. Right now, it's a dark blue-almost black-with a dash of charcoal gray kind of color.

I think I first started being drawn to this color as I was looking at what color would look best with the brick of our house. I wanted to make new shutters (they've been made, but not quite finished and ready to post yet) and we need to replace the front door, so I started looking at the brick and noticed it had this almost black color in certain places. However, we had originally painted the door/shutters with a bright navy/cobalt blue and I loved the blue, so I didn't want to go straight black with the new color. Plus, black is just a little too traditional for the look of our house.
 left: @joannagaines | right: @rockyhedgehome
left: @e.t.shown_home (found via @jodie.thedesigntwins) | right: @peachandpinehome

I love that this color truly works for interiors, exteriors, accent pieces, and beyond. It even works regardless of your decor style (modern, farmhouse, boho, etc.). And since it does have a cool/blue undertone, it pairs well with other cool colors, like the greenery and gray chair above, and the eucalyptus and gray-washed tray below. But even though it's a cool blue-black, it doesn't have to stay with cool colors. It looks equally great with the warm wood tones from @rockyhedge home and the gold from @peachandpinehome as it does with the gray wood from @lemondropsreclaimed.
 left: @lemondropsreclaimed (found via @mmsmilkpaint) | right: @markethouserestorations (found via @oldbarnpaint)
 left: @peachandpinehome (photo by @carolinesharpnack) | right: @finn_and_bo (found via @oldbarnmilkpaint)
left: @farmhouseonboone | right: @timber.cottage

Just for fun! Here it is in small doses, just in case you think the dark color is just too bold for a whole wall or large piece of furniture. Or if you need to tip-toe into a color before truly committing.
left: @missmustardseed | right: @thecottonfieldcottage

All images found via instagram and tagged beneath to reflect ownership. I only own the very last photo (blueberries).

No comments:

Post a Comment