June 22, 2018

Entryway Mood Board

The first project I want to tackle this summer is the entryway. There are just two projects I want to complete for this room this summer -- building a bench and replacing the front door. I would love to replace the light fixture too, but I don't know about that one yet because I think it will mean replacing three at once, just the hallway lines up with the entryway and I would want them all to match.

Before I can wrap my head around what all I want (especially for those finishing touches), I think I need to create a mood board. I've never officially done one of these on paper (physical or digital). It's always just been all up in my head. However, when I was little I would draw out rooms on graph paper ALL. THE. TIME. It's almost like I always wanted to be an interior decorator and then changed my mind right before I went to college or something...

My decor tastes are all over the place at the moment:

  • I like the modern look, but only to a small degree. I think I just like the clean lines.
  • I like the farmhouse look, but only when it's authentic. If I'm going to have an old piece in my house it's going to come with a story, and preferably a family one at that.
  • I like the rustic look because it doesn't have to be perfect and it only gets better with nicks and dings.
  • I like the boho look, but it just doesn't really feel like "me" all the time.
So here's what I think I want for the entryway:

Photo/Item Sources (none affiliated, just what I found): metal tobacco basket, mirror, rug, leather pillow, bench, short vase, tall vase, wall hanging
  1. Modern elements: leather pillow, octagon mirror, moody dark blue
  2. Farmhouse elements: tobacco basket, simple wooden constructions, white walls, black/white print rug, jug vases? (I'm guessing that's where these fall)
  3. Rustic elements: simple wooden constructions (again), dark wood plank floors, dark wood stain on bench/table top, the tobacco basket is metal instead of balsa wood
  4. Boho elements: woven wall hanging, block print rug, plants!

Since I have a real life budget, those won't be the *exact* pieces we end up with, but what I already have and what I plan to build are incredibly similar! This has me excited to go build that bench now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment