June 15, 2020

DIY Modern Farmhouse Gallery Wall


 Hello!

I wanted to share a little about how I made this gallery wall since everyone asks about it when I share my living room. I did this a few years ago, and I don't have any pictures of the process (except in stories), so this will be a verbal tutorial -- luckily it was a really easy process! I do have those stories saved in a highlight on my instagram page if you need a visual for the instructions. It's called "botanical prints."

Let me start by saying that I got the idea from a post by Jessica at Bravo Homestead on instagram. This one, to be exact:
So really, my gallery wall is just a shameless copy, but I told her I was doing it so it's okay right? 😅

Step 1: Go to Biodiversity's flickr account and sift through alllllll the digital files to find your favorite prints. They have everything! When picking mine, I limited myself to those with similar backgrounds so that I could have a more uniform look. All of my prints have a yellow-tone background.
Step 2: Print your files - I got mine done at staples in an 8x10
Step 3: Get your frames. I just bought simple brown "wood" frames at walmart that are 11x14 matted to 8x10. I don't see my brown online (I bought them in-store), but I do see black and white options.
Step 4: Attach twine to the back of the frame in each top corner. I used a combination of hot glue and e6000. I put a generous blob of hot glue in the top left corner, added the twine and held it in place with a pencil/bamboo skewer (anything to not have your finger touching hot glue) until the glue began to set. Then, I did a blob of e6000 on top of the twine to fully encase it in glue. Repeat on top right corner.
Step 5: Hang the hooks on the wall with! The hooks I got on amazon are currently unavailable, but these look to be the same. This just took some measuring to get it all spaced evenly. I started with lining up the top of one hook with the top of the trim for the built-in to the left (see first picture below), then I hung/held one of the frames to see where the bottom and right side of the frame would hit and lightly marked those spaces on the wall with a pencil. I wanted the frames to stretch across the back of the couch, so I measured that space and subtracted by 44 inches (the width of four frames side by side) to see how much room I had to play with for the space between the frames. I played around with it on the floor until I found a space I liked, Then I hung the rest of the hooks accordingly, using a frame as a test piece as I went. It took a little bit of time and spatial reasoning, but it was worth it!
Step 6: Hang your frames! I didn't want to trust the glue completely because as we sit on the couch we bump into the wall and they're plaster walls. I used anchors when I hung the hooks and I added a command picture strip to the bottom-left and top-right corners of each frame. I wanted to make sure they were really not going anywhere! The picture strips help to distribute the weight so it's not just on the wall by hanging on the twine (which I thought would put too much tension on the glue). They've been hanging here for two years now with no trouble!

I absolutely love how this project turned out! I'm really bad about changing my mind, so I put this project off for years because I knew it would take some time. I also couldn't think of a way to fill more space on the wall without having to add even more prints, so when I saw Jessica's post with the hanging frames, I knew that would be the perfect way to fill more space without adding more prints.
 They add so much character and completely make this space feel like "us." I added a mustard pillow to the couch recently to pull out the mustard/yellow color in the citrus print on the bottom row. I love that these prints go with any season and any color scheme!
 They're even fluff-butt approved!









prints printed at staples -- $0.55 x 8 = $4.40, so let's call it $5.00
twine and glue -- had on hand from other projects (free)
frames -- $8.64 x 8 = $69.12, so let's call it $70.00
hooks -- $11.89, so $12.00
command picture strips -- pack of 12, but I needed 2 because I used 16 sets $13.50 x 2 = $27.00

TOTAL: $114 -- not exactly "cheap" but definitely not as expensive as it could have been!

No comments:

Post a Comment